17 Attributes of Godly Leaders
We must evaluate and know the personalities and attributes of different people before we give them a kingdom assignment. Most people are aware of the godly attributes one needs to become a godly leader, however, many times they are unaware of the ones they personally need to improve. That is why you need a pastor in your life – to help define your strengths and weaknesses.
Some weaknesses cannot be improved upon. For example, musical talent cannot be imparted, but a negative attitude can always be improved. Sometimes, we as humans get a little lax, forgetful or over confident and need to be refreshed.
With the help of Sister Earline Perkins, I have compiled 17 attributes of a Godly Leader.
1. Attribute of Common Goals: Any leader must establish a common goal. In a church body, the goal is for the lost to be saved and the saved to become disciples of Jesus Christ.
2. Attribute of Unity: Success can only be achieved if all in leadership have unity in obtaining the goal. Leaders must always work together, never in competition (Ephesians 4:3).
3. Attribute of Holiness: Those in leadership must live a life that can be emulated and scrutinized, as it will be (Titus 2).
4. Attribute of Patience: Those in leadership must realize results do not happen overnight but with patience, results will manifest (2 Timothy 2:24).
5. Attribute of Submission to Authority: Obeying those who have rule over you is a must for success in any endeavor (Hebrews 13:17).
6. Attribute of Focus: Be careful not to get distracted by tangible things, or forgetting the goal of souls being saved. Don’t let buildings, decorations, or social functions be anything but a means to win the lost (Mark 16:15-16).
7. Attribute of Doing your Best: Stay strong in the service and do not get weak in the effort (2 Chronicles15:7).
8. Attribute of Motivation: A good leader will implement ways to motivate others (Hebrews 10:24).
9. Attribute of A Positive Attitude: It is essential to speak positively to coworkers to encourage progress. A negative word can tear down miles of progress (2 Samuel 23:3).
10. Attribute of Justice: A God fearing leader will strive to be just in all matters and not petty or self-serving (Proverbs 10:20).”
11. Attribute of Diligence to Study: A leader should continue to study the Word. God speaks to us through his word and study will keep us refreshed and directed (2 Timothy 2:15).
12. Attribute of Faithfulness: Only with faithfulness can one be effective in any endeavor (Matthew 25:23).
13. Attribute of Strength: Don’t grow weary in doing well. We must take care of ourselves in order to complete the job (Galatians 6:9).
14. Attribute of Availability: It doesn’t matter how much talent you have. If you are not available, it is not profitable to the Kingdom work.
15. Attribute of Knowledge: A good leader will study his area of authority, and know it well. He will be forewarned about situations that may arise and store in his mind how best to handle them. In this way costly mistakes can be avoided. This is much the same way a Doctor is trained and automatically knows how to handle an emergency.
16. Attribute of Encouragement: A good leader will encourage those under his leadership and walk beside those who are learning. Remember, Peter was not perfect, but Jesus saw something in him. He knew he could carry out the message of new birth (Matthew 16:18).
17. Attribute of Service: A good leader serves others and is not seeking self-gratification or promotion in the Kingdom of God.
Godly leaders must examine and refresh their attitudes frequently in order to be pleasing to God and to become the best leader they can be.